Ask the Clerk

Below is a list of FAQs that may help you in your service as the Clerk of Session for the congregation. 

At least once a week, I receive emails and phone calls asking me some question about our Presbyterian Church polity and constitution. Here are a few which might interest you. If you have any questions, you can email them to me or call me at 312-488-3000, extension 4.

Or you can fill out our online form for further questions.


Is it still necessary for the Session to hold a meeting once a year with the Deacons?

No, this is no longer a requirement in our Form of Government. However, Sessions may hold such a meeting. And if there is a meeting, be sure to take the minutes for that meeting, and have them approved by the Session and the Deacons.

Who holds title to the property and building of a Presbyterian Church?

All church property is held in trust for the use and benefit of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) as a tool for mission.
Chapter 4 of the Form of Government in the Book of Order (G-4.01 through G-4.02) contains the provisions for church property and church incorporation. Most church property decisions require the support of the Session, the Congregation, and the Presbytery.

Who has the authority to approve celebrations of Baptism and Communion?

The Session of a congregation has the authority to authorize the celebrations of Baptism and Communion.
Requests for Baptism often come from the Pastor — to the Session for their approval. A yearly schedule for the celebration of Communion / The Lord’s Supper is ordinarily approved by the Session before the start of the new year.