All resumes and PDFs should be sent to [email protected]
The Presbytery of Chicago is seeking an individual who will build and strengthen the fibers of connection between the presbytery and its congregations. The Director of Connectional Relationships(DCR) will use a variety of communications tools to meet with leaders and members of congregations to learn, listen, and share their mission, ministry, challenges, and opportunities with one another and other congregations. The DCR will cultivate relationships within and between congregations and the presbytery. The DCR will work with presbytery leadership and congregations to discern the post COVID future of ministry. The DCR will be the eyes and ears of the presbytery in the life of congregations, while sharing presbytery resources and encouraging congregations to fully live into their God given mission. The DCR will help the presbytery live into its mission of relating churches to one another in Christ Jesus.
This is a full-time position that is shared with the Synod of Lincoln Trails with 75% (30 hours per week) of time working with the presbytery of Chicago and 25% (10 hours per week) of time working with the Synod of Lincoln Trails per week. The DCR will do similar and overlapping work with the Synod.
Duties & Responsibilites
• Share stories and ideas from congregations across the presbytery and synod.
• Connecting those with similar interests/challenges for further dialogue.
• Providing platforms to share ideas and resources throughout the presbytery and synod.
• Creating space and opportunities for leaders to have generative discussion.
• Collaborate with Digital Marketing and Technology Specialist Consulting oncommunications development and strategy.
• Assistance to presbyteries and congregations with digital communication and social media platforms (newsletters, website updates, articles).
• Initiate opportunities for congregations to dream and cast visions for their communities.
• Bringing focus to the question of “What’s next for the church?”
• Helping congregations and presbyteries develop plans to consider who and what they are called to be.
• Develop synod-wide systems to explore emerging contextual issues and trends and how the church with both be impacted and may be called to respond.
Other duties as assigned.
• A Bachelor’s degree is required.
• High level communication skills required including writing, editing, hosting and moderating conversations. Excellent overall computer skills, including Mail Chimp, Microsoft Office products and Adobe Creative Suite, Google Suite.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Experience in a faith-based or non-profit environment is preferred.
• Knowledge of Presbyterian polity, practices, and procedural operations preferred.
• The ability to function well within a complex, multi-cultural metropolitan environment.
• Ability to make decisions and work independently.
• Ability to work remotely.
• Clearly defined professional boundaries and an ability to balance the multiple aspects of one’s life.
• Ability to work successfully with ministers and entities constituted by members ofpresbyteries.
• Ability to work with highly confidential and sensitive materials.
The position requires physical and cognitive endurance; the DCR must be able to work long hours Must have reliable transportation.
Evaluation & Overview
This position will be reviewed annually by the Executive Presbyter, in consultation with the Personnel Committee of the Presbytery of Chicago, under the jurisdiction of the Presbytery CoordinatingCommission.